POWERS OF PRESIDENT:
- A President is an elected official serving as both chief of state and chief political executive in a republic having a presidential government.
- President is a first citizen of a country. He is responsible for the unity and integrity of a country. A president is a single unit representative.
- President is an essential part of the parliament. The parliament conducts 3 sessions each year.
- The president summons both the houses of the parliament and prorogues them.
- He can dissolve the Loksabha.
- President fills the 2 seats of Loksabha from the Anglo-Indian community by nomination and 12 seats of Rajyasabha. Any kind of bill such as a money bill, state reorganization bill cannot be placed without the prior recommendation of the president.
- President has powers to implement the ordinances.
- President is the nominal head of government. President appoints the prime minister after the general elections.
- From the advice of the prime minister remaining council of ministers are appointed by the president.
- Apart from this, he appoints the attorney general of India (AGI), Comptroller auditor general (CAG) ,Chief election commission and other election commission, UPSC members, finance commission members, the governor of a state are appointed by the president.
- Indian chief justice, Supreme Court, high court judges are appointed by the president. The president shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence.
- President presents the Annual finance statement or union budget in the parliament. On behalf of the president, the finance minister can produce or present in the parliament.
- President has a contingency fund of India in excess which can be used in the emergency .every 5 years finance commission is implemented between state and central government.
- At the international level, any treaty or agreement can be negotiated or signed by the president.
- International forms can be assigned by the high commissioner, ambassador on behalf of the president.
- President is the supreme commander of country forces. President appoints the chiefs of Army, Navy, and Air force.
- President can only declare war between the countries.
- National emergency Implemented on War or aggression case, armed violence in the country
- President rule can be implemented when the state legislation dissolves.
- A financial emergency is implemented on the financial crisis, economic situation etc.